Los Angeles Weapons of Mass Destruction Attorneys
Los Angeles, one of the largest cities in America, depends on the vigilance of law enforcement agencies like the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) to protect its densely populated streets. In their mission to safeguard the city, they take charges related to weapons of mass destruction (WMD) seriously. If you find yourself facing WMD charges in Los Angeles, it’s crucial to have a skilled attorney by your side to protect your rights and advocate for your defense.
At Werksman Jackson & Quinn LLP, we understand the gravity of WMD charges and their potential consequences. With over two decades of experience, our firm has earned a stellar reputation in the legal community. Criminal defense lawyer Mark Werksman is a former Deputy District Attorney and former Assistant United States Attorney. Mark Werksman has been practicing criminal law since 1986 and is rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest possible rating for ethical standards and legal ability.
We don’t just work hard; we work smart, employing strategic approaches tailored to the unique circumstances of each case. Call us today at (213) 688-0460 for a confidential consultation. Your rights deserve protection, and we are here to help you.
Weapons of mass destruction, as defined under California Penal Code Section 11418, encompass a wide range of destructive devices that can potentially cause significant harm. It’s essential to understand what falls under this definition to grasp the severity of the charges.
In California, charges related to WMDs encompass various destructive devices posing significant threats. These charges can result from possession, use, or intent to use WMDs, each with distinct implications. There are five primary types of WMDs leading to charges under Section 11418:
- Explosive devices: These devices, like bombs or IEDs, cause rapid destruction. Charges stem from construction, possession, or use, carrying substantial penalties due to mass destruction potential.
- Chemical weapons: The use of toxic substances, including poisonous gasses or nerve agents, leads to serious charges due to life-threatening risks and long-term health issues.
- Biological agents: Involving pathogens, toxins, or biohazardous materials, charges arise from possession or dissemination. Penalties are severe due to potential widespread harm.
- Radiological devices: The use of ionizing radiation sources, such as radioactive materials, results in charges. These carry significant penalties due to radiation risks.
- Nuclear weapons: Possession or intent to use nuclear weapons is among the most serious offenses, with catastrophic consequences, including mass destruction. Legal ramifications include substantial prison sentences and fines.
The legal implications of WMD offenses in California are severe, with potential penalties including lengthy imprisonment and substantial fines. Being convicted of a WMD-related offense can have life-altering consequences, making it imperative to mount a strong defense.
Challenging WMD charges requires a comprehensive understanding of the law and an in-depth analysis of the evidence. Some common defense strategies include:
- Lack of intent: Demonstrating that you had no intent to use a weapon as a WMD.
- Mistaken identity: Proving that you were wrongly identified as the perpetrator.
- Illegal search and seizure: Highlighting any violations of your Fourth Amendment rights during the investigation.
Experienced legal representation is crucial in these complex cases. An attorney who specializes in WMD cases can navigate the intricacies of the law, assess the evidence, and develop a robust defense strategy tailored to your specific situation.
When facing WMD charges, the assistance of a skilled Los Angeles violent crime defense lawyers can make all the difference. We can help in several ways:
- Comprehensive legal knowledge: Our attorneys possess a profound understanding of California’s WMD laws, and their extensive experience includes successfully defending clients in similar cases. We leverage our legal knowledge to craft a formidable defense tailored to your unique situation.
- Thorough investigation and evidence review: At Werksman Jackson & Quinn LLP, we leave no stone unturned. We conduct meticulous investigations, meticulously review all evidence, and collaborate with seasoned experts to construct a robust defense strategy on your behalf. Our commitment to detail can be the key to your defense.
- Skilled negotiation and litigation: Whether it’s skillful negotiation or tenacious litigation, we are prepared to pursue the best possible outcome for your case. Our lawyers excel in both negotiation and courtroom proceedings, ensuring that your rights and interests are fiercely protected at every stage.
Contact Werksman Jackson & Quinn LLP today for a free consultation to discuss your case. Our Los Angeles weapons violation defense attorneys will take your specific circumstances into consideration and craft a custom-tailored defense. You have constitutional rights, and we’re here to protect them.
Call (213) 688-0460 today to learn more.
Recent Case Results
- Complete Dismissal of Molestation Charges
Attorney Mark Werksman’s 29 year old client was falsely accused of molesting two neighborhood children and was subsequently charged with felony child molestation, with a significant prison sentence hanging over his head should he be convicted. Instead, at the preliminary hearing Werksman was able to convince the court to grant his client a complete dismissal of any charges.
- Decision Set Aside
Client, a college student in a faulty Title IX case, was awarded $130,000 in attorney fees.
- Probation with No Jail Time for Drug Money Laundering Charge
Wilmington man accused in New York federal court of laundering drug money through the sale of laptop computers. Mark was able to get the case transferred to federal court in Los Angeles, where he convinced the United States Attorney to reduce the charges. His client was sentenced to probation with no jail time on a misdemeanor conviction.